The ULYSSES Ensemble and the ULYSSES Network took a step forward in 2017, focusing their efforts on young performers – as always, in the field of today’s music. Every year, a new ensemble of young musicians living in Europe is formed and travels to several academies and festivals in the ULYSSES network.
2022 marks the first time that the ULYSSES Ensemble is an ensemble entirely dedicated to percussion, and travels from June to September from the Percussions de Strasbourg and the ManiFeste Academy to the Time of Music Festival and the Gaudeamus Festival ending with the Warsaw Autumn Festival.
The ULYSSES Ensemble is made up of 5 percussionists, accompanied by percussionists from the Percussions de Strasbourg who lead and guide the young performers throughout their journey. The members of the ensemble are Paolo Amendoeira, Théo Guimbard, Seon Yeon Kong, Mikolaj Rytowski and Akane Tominaga.
© Percussions de Strasbourg
Stop 1 – Percussions de Strasbourg
Thursday, June 9—Friday, June 17, 2022
Educational Advisors: Rémi Schwartz and Minh-Tâm Nguyen (Percussions de Strasbourg)
The young percussionists will be welcomed in Strasbourg, as part of the festival celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Percussions de Strasbourg. They will have the opportunity to attend performances of Iannis Xenakis’ major works for an ensemble of percussions: Persephassa and Pléiades. They will then rehearse together the different pieces for their tour. They will work closely with the musicians from the Percussions de Strasbourg, more particularly with Rémi Schwartz, who will conduct them and accompany them throughout the different stops. They will work closely with young composers Mioko Yokoyama and James Alexandropoulos-McEwan, who have written two pieces especially for them, commissioned by members of the ULYSSES network.
• James A. McEwan: a/mi(d)st a/noise_and, -[d]is_interference/// for 6 persuasions and electronics (2022) 10 min, commissioned by Time of Music, Gaudeamus Festival, Warsaw Autumn Festival
• Malika Kishine Sange (2016), 15min
• Per Nørgård Square and Round (1985), 10 min
• Kazimierz Serocki Continuum (1965-1966), 12 min
• Iannis Xenakis Métaux 14 min & Peaux 8 min, excerpts from Pléiades (1978-1979)
• Mioko Yokoyama Talking metals, talking drums for 6 percussionists (2022), 15 min, commissioned by Time of Music, Gaudeamus Festival, Warsaw Autumn Festival